As part of the VNY Part 150 Noise Compatibility Program, the Board of Airport Commissioners approved a voluntary Fly Friendly Program for jet aircraft that was established in 1994 to address the community noise issue. This voluntary program consists primarily of the Quiet Departure Program, which sets not-to-exceed target departure noise levels for specific aircraft types. Pilots adhere to the program by using noise abatement departure procedures approved by airplane manufacturers or the NBAA when departing VNY.
Due to changes in fleet mix, amount of new aircraft operators and new aircraft types operating into and out of VNY, the voluntary Fly Friendly/Quiet Departure program is being updated to include new target noise levels and to expand the number of aircraft included in the program. The updated program will also include a “Friendly Flyer” annual award acknowledging those operators who have the highest level of success in adhering to the program, and who also follow all other noise abatement policies and procedures (e.g., Noise Abatement and Curfew Regulation, and No Early Turn Program).
||Notification sent to jet operators informing them of the new program and 6-month transition period
|June 7, 2011
||VNAA Meeting at Airtel Plaza Hotel at 4pm:
- Brief presentation will be given regarding the program.
- Consultants and airport staff on hand to answer program questions.
|July 1, 2011
||6-Month Transition Period Begins:
- New target noise levels become effective (exceedances will not be counted against operator).
- Jet operators to make any necessary adjustments to adhere to new target noise levels.
- Operators continue to receive notification letters if noise levels are exceeded.
- Quiet Departure Program monthly reports not published for general distribution.
|December 31, 2011
||6-Month Transition Period Ends.
|January 1, 2012
||Official commencement date of Fly Friendly Program and Friendly Flyer Awards Program:
- New noise targets implemented (exceedances will be counted against jet operators).
- Resume Quiet Departure Program monthly reports distribution.
|1st Quarter 2013
||Friendly Flyer Awards Ceremony: awards given to top performers. (Date and location to be determined)